fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Music Journey with my 3-year-old daughter

More
16 Aug 2012 00:25 #5228 by Mandabplus3
Hooray!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: I clearly remember the first time Jaykob played with two hand! I was so excited! S was he. You are doing a wonderful job, keep going!
The following user(s) said Thank You: marrtai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2012 18:42 #5240 by Christine_C88
I wrote about a method on my blog that I am using to help my three year old with the hanon exercises. I Thought maybe it would help some of you. bloomingbrilliant123.blogspot.com/2012/0...-piano.html?spref=tw
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs.Post, marrtai

More
17 Aug 2012 18:23 #5247 by lzp11

Christine_C88 wrote: I wrote about a method on my blog that I am using to help my three year old with the hanon exercises. I Thought maybe it would help some of you. bloomingbrilliant123.blogspot.com/2012/0...-piano.html?spref=tw

Thank you Christine that is a really great idea! I loved the photos on your blog. The rainbow colours will be a great match for Little Musician which we are using alongside Soft Mozart. My 3-year old is a little way off even trying to start Hanon yet but when we do I will definitely use your idea.
I also thought about using coloured sticky dots on her fingernails if I could not find matching rings in all the colours.

More
19 Aug 2012 22:41 #5261 by hellene

Christine_C88 wrote: I wrote about a method on my blog that I am using to help my three year old with the hanon exercises. I Thought maybe it would help some of you. bloomingbrilliant123.blogspot.com/2012/0...-piano.html?spref=tw

What is the marvelous idea! Thank you very much for sharing!

Please, let us know, how did it work with your DD!

Back to the Mozart

More
16 Feb 2013 02:28 #8392 by marrtai
It has been a while since l last updated on the forum. I tried to find my last post but it seems that it was deleted for some reason and I could not find it anymore.

In any event, I have experienced some ups and downs in the past few months. December was a really good month. I guess that is because I used the advent calendar (with different chocolate inside for each day) as the motivation for my daughter to earn and it really worked! She played on average at least 2-3 times per week and about half an hour or longer each time. During that time, she played JB, Ode to Joy, and French song from the introductory album. She picked up new song relatively easier than before. The only thing is that there is a time lag between pressing the left hand and the right hand. I was trying to get her to put her hands on the right keys first then press both hands together. It is still a work in progress till these days. Any recommendations for that?

She even started to play Fur Elise as that was from one of her favourite cartoons. Of course we just played a short portion every time but she got to play something she likes which is good.

Then since January we were busy with other things so we could not keep playing the piano as consistently as before and we stopped for a few weeks. When we tried to start playing piano again, I felt that I hit a wall. This time, it was so hard to motivate my daughter even with her princess book that she really loves. When I tried to get her to play, she either banged on the keyboard or just keep finding excuses so we may sit near the keyboard for a good half hour and she hardly played anything. Sometimes it really upset me but I tried not to be mad that she will associate learning with something negative but it was super hard.

I have been letting her play the songs from the introductory album and also recently from the nursery album but we rarely got to do other things like the games. She was not too keen on the games so far or at least she still likes to be wrong and see the spiders. Occasionally I would let her play the scales or played the different chords we learned from little musician. I just realized too that perhaps I should show her not only the vertical presentation but also the horizontal one too. Should I do that for every song or should I just wait till she is older before I introduce the horizontal presentation? Perhaps my approach does not have enough variety for her. Hmmmm...

I would really appreciate any recommendations to the above. I truly believe in this and it is such a pity that I cannot use it more with her yet. She seems to resist learning these days. I need to do something different to motivate her again.

Thanks.

Marrtai

More
16 Feb 2013 05:26 #8393 by Mrs.Post
marrtai,

I have such empathy for you. I have a toddler who is more than capable of playing, but until recently would not. This includes all things not just music. Reading, capable but wouldn't. Piano, not a chance. He bangs on the keyboard, loves to see the spiders and MR. Oops.

I was thinking that perhaps a 1/2 hour is too long for a little girl who isn't "into" it just yet. I keep going back to Glenn Doman and we try to get in what we can and always stop before they want to. Don't let her go until she wants to quit. Quit while she is still enjoying herself. Then it is always a pleasant experience and one she wants to do. And it is her idea.

Is the piano out where she can just sit and fiddle with the keys? Last fall my son was beginning to be interested in the piano. I then moved the keyboard to a more permanent location - a back room. His interest lagged. Then I moved back to my living space (ugly orange chair and all) and suddenly he is interested again and asks to play 2-3 times a day. He has also decided to do all his other EL activities where he wouldn't before either - so it is not just that it is out. but having it available keeps his interest up. I restrict the number of official practices because I want his interest to remain high. This is something special - learning piano. I want him to treat it that way. I do notice that when he sits at the keyboard himself he will press keys and sing the notes. Sometimes he just bangs and that is ok as long as it is not hard.

Hellene does the butterfly thing for motivation. I pay the kids with play money and they redeem it at my store for things like: fruit snacks, balloons, stickers, books, tattoos and other stuff. I go to thrift stores and find good books, and small objects to put in my store and then put a price on it. Sometimes the kids put all their money together to earn things like homemade pizza or cinnamon rolls.

My son is approaching the age and your daughter is at the age where money is a great motivator. It is my firm belief that children should be paid for their hard work. We have a system in our house where my children (I only have one that I used this with and will start my youngest this fall when he is 3) are paid for doing their school work, practicing whatever it is they get involved in and things above and beyond chores. I do not pay for chores that is part of living in a family. But all the things that will benefit him I pay for provided he does a good job. Children need to know that the surest way to earn money is to work. I can't afford that you say. Well, you can if you quit buying things for her and give her the responsibility of taking care of certain things herself. So when my son turns three he will earn $10 a month. I will quit buying things like fruit snacks and anything extra other than birthday and Christmas presents. He has to give $1 a month and save $1 a month and he has to manage the other $8. He has daily and weekly chores to do. Plus he has piano and violin lessons. I don't pay for chores, but I do levy fines when the chores don't get done or when they are done sloppily. I levy fines for having to remind more than one time. I levy fines for not trying. My son has had to pay me for making me wait. As the kids get older and are responsible for more, they earn more in their paycheck. As they do this, I also give them more responsibility over their own lives. My oldest son is 17. Right now, I don't even pay for his co-pay at the doctor. He has to budget for things like that. This was not my idea, I stole it from good friends of mine. This solves a lot of disputes you have in your home if your children know up front that they have to use their money to pay for things. They also know if they want things then they will have to work to earn them. You have to decide what tasks she will earn money for and what you are going to stop purchasing for her. This has worked very well for us. And, when children have to pay for their behavior with cold hard cash, they suddenly develop the habit of attention and you don't have to nag. the only suggestions I have is that you make sure the kids know exactly how much they will earn and how much the fines are. Never be late in paying them. BTW - I delight in saying, "Thank you for not taking out the garbage, I so wanted an extra five dollars this week."
The following user(s) said Thank You: marrtai

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds