fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Music Journey with my 3-year-old daughter

More
05 Jun 2012 22:32 - 05 Jun 2012 22:52 #4284 by marrtai
I got my SM and set it up in the middle of May. I was very excited about the program. I introduced the solfeggi symbols to her and she picked it up quickly (we were on the Little Musician trial and I think it helps).

Then we tried the Guess Key game. As per my earlier post, it did not go too well at first. She was fascinated by the spiders. Even though she knew which keys to press, she did not want to do it right or even let me do it so she can see the spiders come out. She had a blast doing that. :S

Then we tried HCB, we did not go too far neither. I tried to teach her what to do. She wanted to do it by herself instead and got frustrated and just banged on the keyboard.

It was frustrating and I thought she would never learn how to play. I stopped teaching her the program and was trying to read the posts on SM and found out tips from other parents. There were tons of useful information but I felt a bit overwhelmed at first. I don't really know where to start. I played with her once or twice together later. Nothing serious. I did not even record the scores.

Then, on the day when she turned 3 at the end of May, something changed all of a sudden. On May 29, we did Guess Key game again and she did 49 (at 3:27 on the lower right) and then 64 (at 5:04) and even finished the first level with just a little bit of my help. Then she tried HCB, R1: 10/15 - 39; 6/15 - 66; 13/15 - 24.

On May 30, R1: 10/15 - 38; 13/15 - 17

On May 31, R1: 9/15 - 43; 11/15 - 26. Guess Key game: I turned it on and walked away to do some chores and then I heard her playing by herself. I was really amazed to find out she hit most of the keys correctly when I was watching her from behind for a good few minutes. I was too shocked and I did not write down the score.

So, finally it is working!! She is responding to the program. I was soooo happy about that!
Last edit: 05 Jun 2012 22:52 by marrtai.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2012 22:50 #4285 by marrtai
Week 2
We stopped for a few days. On June 3, she did HCB R1: 13/15 - 9; 13/15 - 15. Then she tried L1: 16/22 - 98 first time with her left hand and by herself. I thought it would not be easy because her hands are small. I was really happy that she did though. It was very encouraging.

Jun 4
HCB - R1:13/15 - 12; 13/15 - 8
L1: 20/22 - 50; 18/22 - 44

We started JB with right hand
R1: 34/45 -56; 32/45 - 56; 31/45 -84

Jun 5
HCB - L1:14/22 - 64; 18/22 -55 R1:12/15 - 16; 13/15 - 25
JB- R1:31/45 - 90 L1:20/32 - 104

We have not had much luck with Guess Key game in the last few days. Will keep trying. We did the first page of Kingdom of Tune and the colouring together. I tried to teach her proper fingering as her fingers while I can. She wants to do things her way so it really takes time. I tried to get her to play do re mi fa so so fa mi re do and so far we only played together. As with many other things, I find that teaching my daughter has been 1 step forward and a few steps backward but I will keep trying. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: the Moon

More
06 Jun 2012 13:49 #4294 by hellene
Hi, marrtai!
Welcome!

marrtai wrote: I got my SM and set it up in the middle of May. I was very excited about the program. I introduced the solfeggi symbols to her and she picked it up quickly (we were on the Little Musician trial and I think it helps).

Yes! Did you also check our SHARE section of the forum? Our brillkids moms created many files for toddlers based on LR power points.

Then we tried the Guess Key game. As per my earlier post, it did not go too well at first. She was fascinated by the spiders. Even though she knew which keys to press, she did not want to do it right or even let me do it so she can see the spiders come out. She had a blast doing that. :S

It is normal. Most of the very young beginners do that! What to say? Our Mr. Spider is extremely charismatic! :P

Then we tried HCB, we did not go too far neither. I tried to teach her what to do. She wanted to do it by herself instead and got frustrated and just banged on the keyboard.

Did you read my post about tricks working with toddlers? softmozart.com/forum/20-hellene-hiners-b...limit=6&start=12#474

It was frustrating and I thought she would never learn how to play.

Oh, she definitely will ! :)

I stopped teaching her the program and was trying to read the posts on SM and found out tips from other parents. There were tons of useful information but I felt a bit overwhelmed at first. I don't really know where to start. I played with her once or twice together later. Nothing serious. I did not even record the scores.

You should write to me or here, on this forum! Oh, well! You did! Here together we'll solve all the puzzles! ;)

Then, on the day when she turned 3 at the end of May, something changed all of a sudden. On May 29, we did Guess Key game again and she did 49 (at 3:27 on the lower right) and then 64 (at 5:04) and even finished the first level with just a little bit of my help.

:ohmy: marrtai, 3:27 and 5:04 of the GAME time is extremely long time for the toddler! You child is SUPER focused! This game should be played for 30 seconds - maximum 1 minute. The trick is to keep the same short time and write the scores down...Wow!

Then she tried HCB, R1: 10/15 - 39; 6/15 - 66; 13/15 - 24.

The score is telling me that your baby is progressing very steady developing fine motor skills of her right hand.

On May 30, R1: 10/15 - 38; 13/15 - 17

When the number on the right will become less then amount of points (less then 15) - it will be time to memorize the right hand. Great job!

On May 31, R1: 9/15 - 43; 11/15 - 26.

The progress is going to be not as a straight line - rather like waives, but no skill will be ever lost.

Guess Key game: I turned it on and walked away to do some chores and then I heard her playing by herself. I was really amazed to find out she hit most of the keys correctly when I was watching her from behind for a good few minutes. I was too shocked and I did not write down the score.

In future try to teach her to say/sing the names of the notes ;)

So, finally it is working!! She is responding to the program. I was soooo happy about that!

Now it is time to learn properly using the lesson plan and help of professionals :) Please, write more often and as open as possible! We are going to help you to teach your baby!

Thank you very much for sharing your story!
Karma to you!

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: marrtai, the Moon

More
06 Jun 2012 15:30 #4296 by hellene

marrtai wrote: Week 2
We stopped for a few days. On June 3, she did HCB R1: 13/15 - 9; 13/15 - 15. Then she tried L1: 16/22 - 98 first time with her left hand and by herself. I thought it would not be easy because her hands are small. I was really happy that she did though. It was very encouraging.

Did you watch this video? It has some hints for toddlers, how to learn to play left hand ;)

Jun 4
HCB - R1:13/15 - 12; 13/15 - 8
L1: 20/22 - 50; 18/22 - 44

Time to play RH (right hand hidden)

We started JB with right hand
R1: 34/45 -56; 32/45 - 56; 31/45 -84

It helps singing the notes Solfeggio, because there many repetitive notes. Time is wonderful!

Jun 5
HCB - L1:14/22 - 64; 18/22 -55 R1:12/15 - 16; 13/15 - 25
JB- R1:31/45 - 90 L1:20/32 - 104

Wonderful score! Did you also try to 'cut' sections of the piece? It is very long for a baby and will be learned easier in smaller sections.

We have not had much luck with Guess Key game in the last few days. Will keep trying.

Play cards and try Note Alphabet! Give every game a month and play it 1 minutes, but always write the score!

We did the first page of Kingdom of Tune and the colouring together.

Let us know, how it goes!

I tried to teach her proper fingering as her fingers while I can. She wants to do things her way so it really takes time. I tried to get her to play do re mi fa so so fa mi re do and so far we only played together. As with many other things, I find that teaching my daughter has been 1 step forward and a few steps backward but I will keep trying. :)

I think, start paying her and charging her wil help to make your relationship at the lessons more business like! :lol:

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs.Post, marrtai, the Moon

More
07 Jun 2012 12:52 - 07 Jun 2012 12:56 #4307 by Mrs.Post
One thing I am learning with Early education with infants and toddlers is that growth is sporadic. I like Manda's advice to me - a little bit every day. I've had to change my expectations of my child. At 17 months he played HCB with the right hand. He hasn't played anything coherent since. We've been reading forever. I have videos on youtube to prove that he,at one time, would read to me. He won't ready anything anymore and when I show him words he knows he will say a different word - I think on purpose. He still wants to play the piano and asks for the reading and now Little Musician. So, we just keep plugging along. While I don't agree with all of what Glenn Doman says - I do agree with him that children don't like to be tested - they are not performing monkeys - though it is so fun as parents to watch.

She is three - all of this appears as though it is one step forward adn two back but in reality their brains and motor skills and maturity are pregressing but not all at the same time. They are moving forward always it is just that we do not see what is going on in their little bodies. They need time to process all of this. Patience and "A little every day". BTW - She is doing terrific.

I have decided to let my 22 month old bang. He recites HCB in solfege while he does it sometimes so it isn't hurting him. And he likes it. And that is what is gong to keep him coming back. I hope as Early Learning parents our goal is not to get them to "do" certain things but to get them to "love" certain things. We do that by giving them the skills to enjoy all that they put their hands to. I want my child to love what is lovely, good, true and beautiful. So, if she loves music, then you are doing your job. Her life will be better for it.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 12:56 by Mrs.Post.

More
07 Jun 2012 14:50 #4309 by hellene

Mrs.Post wrote: One thing I am learning with Early education with infants and toddlers is that growth is sporadic. I like Manda's advice to me - a little bit every day. I've had to change my expectations of my child. At 17 months he played HCB with the right hand. He hasn't played anything coherent since.

Sonya, I saw, how involved he is on the video with another child. He will be just fine! You know, kids in 'professors' families grew smart being surrounded by smart people. You plant all that your DS need for well rounded education. There is absolutely NO WAY he won't succeed in it. ;)

We've been reading forever. I have videos on youtube to prove that he,at one time, would read to me. He won't ready anything anymore and when I show him words he knows he will say a different word - I think on purpose.

I remember the reading video. In fact, because of the video I started to pay greater attention to LR program. Maybe, here worked the rule with toddlers: don't chase them - let them chase you in learning. Synchronized reading/playing piano also is very helpful. You will do everything for him 'till he get this 'stop' gesture and say: mommy, stop! I will do it!

He still wants to play the piano and asks for the reading and now Little Musician. So, we just keep plugging along. While I don't agree with all of what Glenn Doman says - I do agree with him that children don't like to be tested - they are not performing monkeys - though it is so fun as parents to watch.

Yes! I remember time, when I was a child and I learned how to dance the 'twist'. My parents and their friends were chasing me to 'twist' for them. Oh, how did I hated it! But when they gave me some candies and toys, I did it. :P But once I said: 'I don't work here any longer' :lol: I think, learning process toddlers has to be very modest and soft. Not as much as 'look, my baby is sooo smart!' I totally agree with you on 'performing monkeys'.

She is three - all of this appears as though it is one step forward adn two back but in reality their brains and motor skills and maturity are pregressing but not all at the same time. They are moving forward always it is just that we do not see what is going on in their little bodies. They need time to process all of this. Patience and "A little every day". BTW - She is doing terrific.

There is a lot of processes going on in their brain. Neurons are getting connected and building 'highways' and 'freeways' and then sophisticated little 'roads'. Our goal is to keep minds of our kids busy with different information and to develop their general and fine motor skills as much as we can.

as Early Learning parents our goal is not to get them to "do" certain things but to get them to "love" certain things. We do that by giving them the skills to enjoy all that they put their hands to. I want my child to love what is lovely, good, true and beautiful. So, if she loves music, then you are doing your job. Her life will be better for it.

I can't agree more! I would never forget one very talented piano student, who was winning one piano competition after another. But when the school was over for her, she quit piano saying: 'I hate it'. How far can you go without loving it?

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Olga Egorova

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds