fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Music Journey with my 3-year-old daughter

More
08 Jun 2012 22:14 #4326 by Mandabplus3
Can't your children leap tall buildings while reciting shakespear yet? Really? :silly: :lol: :lol: :silly:
I actually have a phrase I use at the start of my lessons with Jaykob. I say " ok buddy it's Piano time now not silly time" it was one of the things that helped him stop mucking about at the piano. I try to be careful not to squash all the fun out of music and piano by playing games and giggling with them. Also playing songs and singing with them ( really really loudly in opera style at times :lol: ) but I do think there needs to be some concentrated effort in there somewhere. The kids do need some way of knowing when it's time to knuckle down. A few minutes at a time building up gradually. Short bursts, often, at least daily in the beginning.
I have never used the money trick with my kids, it would be a total disaster with Tiana and Jaykob. Natalya would love it though. Tiana and Jaykob are both very emotional and would have a complete meltdown if I took any money away from them. It would be all over and would probably take days to get them back at the piano. That's why I use the sticker reward chart instead. It also helped encourage multiple learning areas at once.
I agree don't worry about the fingering it is true the better they get the more fingers they will use at the right time. They really can only think about so much at once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2012 22:39 - 08 Jun 2012 22:40 #4328 by Mrs.Post
Of course he leap small buildings, been doing that for months. It's the Shakespeare he has trouble with. I've put him in timeout, taken his blue teddy and told him no more fruit snacks until he nails Macbeth. I fear he is very lazy. :lol:
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 22:40 by Mrs.Post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mandabplus3

More
12 Jun 2012 11:59 #4421 by Christine_C88
I do a lot of early learning with my daughter and my top priority is to keep it fun. I have never tried to change my role into more of a teacher before but I am willing to try it.
I try to use stickers for rewards, they are printable I tried to post them in the forum but they never actually post, even though it says it does. But Money would probably work well she does like to collect coins. I think that may work really well.
I do try to write down all the results, but I haven't been writing down the times,...Silly Me! I will try to get some records of her learning this week and next and see how she is doing since just the scores with no times doesn't give me much information. LOL

Thank you for your response and I am so glad that I am not alone in this. :)

More
29 Jun 2012 21:12 #4711 by marrtai
Thanks everyone for the post. I have been super busy in the last 2 weeks and no time to post until now.

Manda: Thanks for your kind words and encouragement. I am doing LR / Little Musician / LC back to back first thing when she wakes up and also just before going to sleep at night / cuddle time. I figure if she has to watch cartoons anyway, may as well make it educational. One thing that I am worried is her screen time. 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there and they all adds up. I am afraid that it will be bad for her vision over time.

We do SM during the day when she climbs up the chair and turns on the keyboard. She does not sit still to do lesson so I often have to break it up into more a session a day. Otherwise we will sit there forever and does not get anything done. In any event, I can only teach her all the early learning programs 3 to 4 days a week at most due to my schedule.

We are on week 5 now and there has been some progress. She is learning HCB and JB and I tried to get her to play do re mi fa so so fa mi re do finger exercises. It is few and far between though. We only did one guess key game in the last 2 weeks and it was 34 in 1 minute.

HCB: Her RH score is 15/15 5 this week. She will just turn on the keyboard and play RH by herself when the program is not even on and she plays it correctly. I tried to teach her to use the correct fingering for right hand. Now she gets more fingers in playing so that is a good start. When I ask her to sing solfeggi she does it correctly.
She has some catch up to do for the left hand. L:22/22 30 and 19/22 38. LH 20/22 39; 13/22 43; 13/22 74 today. Since right hand has progressed much quicker so I try to get her to practise left hand more. At the same time I don't want to bore her with the drill. I tried to guide her to play with both hands so she can get an idea what is coming. Should I wait till L scores below 22 before introducing LH and then P? It is a fine balance to get her to improve with the drills without boring her.

JB: We did not do too much lately. She will play with her right hand readily R 42/25 36 this week but she does not have the patience to play with her left hand. I won't rush it and I will just let her concentrate more on HCB for now.

As I mentioned before, she is fascinated with the Disney tin soldier background music (Shostakovich piano concerto op. 102 - allegro). I taught her the first phrase and now she will turn on the keyboard from time to time and play it and do it correctly. She even teaches her daddy to play and that was cute. She is really happy that she can play it herself. So for now this is something that helps to motivate her which is good.

I was reading Hellene's book and it is a very interesting book. I just learned about the fixed do vs. movable do. I was trained in the movable do system and never knew the fixed do system existed. Quick questions: How do you call the flat and sharp in solfeggi. For example, is E flat a "mi" or something else? How about F sharp? Is it a "fa" or something else?

I totally agree with Hellene that the kids have to chase us for education. Especially with my daughter, I have to make things appear to be her idea or else she does not readily cooperate. It is not always easy to think of something though.

Anyway, I will keep trying and keep it going.

Cheers!

More
30 Jun 2012 22:45 #4727 by Mandabplus3
Great scores! You are doing a fine job! Keep it up.
Perhaps to keep it fun you could play the right hand while she plays the left occasionally. you may end up in fits of laughter as you race each other ;) but all practice is good!
Also you can try her on both hands just once and see how she copes. Hellene will probably say wait a while longer. But One of my girls struggles with the left hand alone but can often do it with both hands as she relies on the melody alot, I think. Of course if it doesn't work just keep on to the left hand only for a while. You will be quite surprised at how quickly that score drops down anyway! If bored with left hand hot cross buns do right hand jingle bells in between.

More
30 Jun 2012 22:47 #4728 by Mandabplus3
Oh just wondering do you have extra support stickers on the chord keys of the left hand? If you put a smaller dot sticker on those notes, it will be easier to find them to play. Priceless tip!

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds