fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 'Butterfly Ball' is Officially Over. What Next?/ "Бал Бабочек" закончен. Что дальше?/La Gala de Mariposas ha terminado oficialmente. ¿Qué sigue? (12 Feb 2024)

Unlock Your 'Butterfly Ball' Benefits: Certificates and Discounts Awaiting!
Откройте для себя преимущества «Бала Бабочек»: начинаем производить сертификаты и назначать скидки!
¡Desbloquea tus beneficios de la Gala de Mariposas: Certificados y descuentos te esperan!

× Progress Diaries

Music Journey with my 3-year-old daughter

More
07 Jun 2012 16:05 - 07 Jun 2012 16:24 #4310 by Mrs.Post
Hellene,

Yes! I remember time, when I was a child and I learned how to dance the 'twist'. My parents and their friends were chasing me to 'twist' for them. Oh, how did I hated it! But when they gave me some candies and toys, I did it. :P But once I said: 'I don't work here any longer' :lol:

I pretty much agree with your statement about making it a business transaction. I am not sure how to make that work with a just turned 3 year old. It doesn't really work with Philip, I don't think he is old enough yet.

In our house you are not paid for chores. Everyone has chores to do and that is part of being in the family. Everyone receives the blessing from being in the family. If you don't do your chores you are either fined or you miss out on certain benefits of being in the family.

However, when it comes to things where the primary beneficiary is the child: school work, music and other activities where the child is required to perform and do their best, then we pay for those. I know there are those who think that you shouldn't - doing a good job is it's own reward. But, as I told my husband, he wouldn't stay in a job that didn't pay. Right now the child's job is to learn and develop good habits that will carry him through life.

We pay not for completing a task but for doing it correctly, timely and cheerfully. We pay a child for working beyond his current level. We pay for developing the "Habit of Attention", which is a Charlotte Mason term for paying attention to what is going on and what you see, focusing and not day dreaming.

The child is paid with money and then expected to manage his/her money. If the child neglects to do what they ought they are fined. All of this is determined ahead of time so the child knows the fines and also the pay scale. But then bonuses are up to mom. The point of all of this is to get the child to develop the habit of hard work. That is difficult when the child is gifted. All early learners are going to be gifted and if parents are not careful - LAZY. This has worked well with my oldest son. He has developed good money skills as well.

Anyway, I still don't know how to work it out with a 3 year old. If anyone has good ideas let me know. We do implement this a little bit with Philip. I want him to start paying attention more and focusing on what he is told to do and following directions. So when we go for walks I ask him to look for either a certain flower or bird or bug. When he sees one he may come to me and I will give him a fruit snack. This is working well. He has moved to finding and announcing these things to me even without the reward - simply because he has come to love birds and flowers and bugs.
Last edit: 07 Jun 2012 16:24 by Mrs.Post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: andreasro

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2012 03:43 #4316 by marrtai
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words and great ideas.

:ohmy: marrtai, 3:27 and 5:04 of the GAME time is extremely long time for the toddler! You child is SUPER focused! This game should be played for 30 seconds - maximum 1 minute. The trick is to keep the same short time and write the scores down...Wow!

Oops... I thought I was supposed to do it for 5 minutes and up. Then I realized 5 minutes on the screen actually means many minutes on the clock. silly me! :blush:

Hellene, it is very interesting how you position it as a business transaction. This concept is totally new to me. I am going to seriously consider that and see how I can implement that with my daughter. So far I get her to play by telling her that I will play her favourite song on the keyboard as well (she is absolutely in love with Shostakovich's piano concerto No.2 - Allegro as that is the background music for the tin soldier story in Disney's Fantasia and she listens to the whole piece at least 5-10 times a day recently and keeps asking for more). So we took turn playing and she is motivated by that - at least for now. I probably have to come up with something new very soon.

All these has been so new to me. I became aware of the significance of early learning very recently as I came across the Doman concept and BK forum and I found out all the wonderful things that the parents and their children do. We started LR, Little Chinese, Little Musician, and SM - all within the same month. We also started doing reading bear and star fall too. Needless to say, it has been crazy in the last little while as I am trying to establish a good and balanced routine. I don't want to overwhelm her and so far she seems to like learning new things. I am also learning everyday how to guide her...

More
08 Jun 2012 09:24 #4317 by Mandabplus3
WHOA! That's a huge pile of education! How on earth do you get thru it all! We struggle to get just SoftMozart and LR done most days. I add in a bit of math with what ever kid has a spare moment and read with them when I have a spare moment. I am trying to find spare time for Spanish and speed reading but havnt found it yet. :blink:
Personally in comparing your three years olds scores and progress to my sons first few weeks....well you are way beyond! His first Hot Cross Buns went for so long on the timer it was 3 digits...I remember one mum said they actually hit the limit of the timer!
It's tricky teaching little kids but so rewarding. You have to shift your focus off teaching piano and put it towards finding ways to make music fun and exciting. But at the same time convince your kids to actually practice! Lol it's a fine line ( that I often miss!) it seems to me you are doing a great job.
To play the games pick a short time (2 mins seems reasonable for your child) and stop the game after that time. Record the score. It's much easier to see progress if you always play the same time. It's also better to stop the kids playing before they get sick of the game. Quit while they still want more. Keep it up, super mum :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mrs.Post

More
08 Jun 2012 11:21 #4318 by Christine_C88
I am in the same place with my daughter. She is almost 3 now, she will turn 3 in August. We have been using the program on and off. I want her to keep interested and to be honest at times I get frustrated because she is so independent and won't take any guidance from me. lol I try to keep it fun though. I have been trying to get her to do finger exercises/ proper fingering but she doesn't want to! lol She tried for one week now doesn't want to be bothered...So I am letting it go for now she plays well for only using her pointers for the most part. :-) I do wish she would try to practice proper fingering, oh well in time she will pick it all up.

More
08 Jun 2012 15:31 - 08 Jun 2012 15:33 #4319 by Mrs.Post
I love this conversation. I keep taking Manda's adive - a little bit every day. This is supposed to be fun for them. I think we get pushy as parents because we see what all these "other" kids can do. And you realize that your child isn't speaking 5 languages, reading phonetically in 4 languages, doing 6th Dan mental math, playing Mozart with both hands, and leaping small buildings while reciting Shakespeare by the age of 3. All this while you hold down a full time job, grow all your own food and bake your own bread, plus make your own cheese and soap (because it is better for them you know.)

Hellene will tell you that they will figure it all out. AND you are not a bad mommy if your kid isn't doing it all just like the "other" kids. This is a marathon not a sprint. We have a long way to go and we have a bit of time before we arrive. If you do your job right, they will never arrive but will find a love of everything around them.

You are doing just great Christine. This post was as much for me as it is for you.
Last edit: 08 Jun 2012 15:33 by Mrs.Post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hellene, andreasro, lzp11

More
08 Jun 2012 18:26 #4322 by hellene
Christine, what you describing here is normal for any family.

Christine_C88 wrote: I get frustrated because she is so independent and won't take any guidance from me. lol

It is not 'independence' - it is rather the 'role confusion'. Kids sort everyone by 'genre': here is my mom - she is nurturing and babying me. here is the teacher - she is teaching me. here is mu dad - he is playing with me etc... Your goal is to put 'teacher hat' on and separate this hat from 'mom's hat.

How to do it? I think, it would be helpful to start lesson with 'bell' or words: 'lesson time'. Such announcement will help to separate daily routines from the time of learning. Say: now I am a teacher and you are my smart student!

Teacher OUGHT to have some authority and power! I usually tell my very young students: I am a queen here, this is my kingdom. I have my own money and my own goods. If you will learn from me, you'll earn something and will be able to buy goods. If you disobey, I will charge you for that and you will end up with nothing. Agree?' And I never wait for an answer since it could take forever :P

I don't believe in democracy, when it goes to early learning, because kids have no clue and they need to know all the boundaries. I also very strict at the beginning with money. If I say: if you will put your toe in your mouth you will loose 1 music dollar, I take dollar away. In real life this happens all the time and mommy won't do it, but school teacher or fellow class mate will.

I try to keep it fun though.

That is the spirit! Imagination and creativity is the key. Did you learn the pieces by yourself? In order to be a role model and a teacher you have to be ahead of your 'student' at least for the beginning ;)

I have been trying to get her to do finger exercises/ proper fingering but she doesn't want to! lol She tried for one week now doesn't want to be bothered...

If she plays a piece with R, L or both hands and the number of seconds much greater then amount of notes on the left, don't bather: she is in process of building basic coordination skills - 'I see - I press'. She doesn't have enough 'room' in her mind for more. She can't process your suggestions yet.

So I am letting it go for now she plays well for only using her pointers for the most part. :-) I do wish she would try to practice proper fingering, oh well in time she will pick it all up.

I would recommend you to write every result down. By looking at her score you will learn a lot about her coordination development. Please, share the numbers with us and I will be able to explain you more at what stage she is and what stage is about to come!

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Christine_C88, andreasro, Mrs.Post, Olga Egorova, the Moon

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds