fbpx

Our Promotion

Save, Сэкономьте, Ahorrar
The 2024-2025 school year starts on September 15th. (31 Aug 2024)

Watch for our updated guidelines to be published before then.

× Learning experience

How to sing accidentals

More
17 Feb 2016 13:15 - 17 Feb 2016 13:16 #22105 by lorenn@3
Thus is a very basic(silly?) question. How I'm supposed to sing flats and sharps when doing solfeggio. I mean is it of F# should I pronounce fa sharp quickly or just fa or just add an s. I mean what is the rule , if there is any for this. Thanks in advance.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2016 13:16 by lorenn@3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 09:24 #22117 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic How to sing accidentals

lorenn@3 wrote: Thus is a very basic(silly?) question. How I'm supposed to sing flats and sharps when doing solfeggio. I mean is it of F# should I pronounce fa sharp quickly or just fa or just add an s. I mean what is the rule , if there is any for this. Thanks in advance.

Our method is based on Russian - French school of music. They are the best in ear training and voice development.

We sing solfeggio with no sharps or flats. but our children all the alterations inside of their minds after a lot of practice with playing different piano pieces, scales, exercises, chords, sight-reading, sight-singing and transposing *all of this you do too, if following our curriculum*

In future your children will be able to instantly translate sounds into notes and keys and develop very advance music ear.

Here is some examplple: children sing in G-Minor (2 flats)

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: lorenn@3

More
19 Jun 2024 10:37 #52871 by WM
Replied by WM on topic How to sing accidentals

hellene wrote:
We sing solfeggio with no sharps or flats

Could you explain more?
Say if the student remember a note in a song by "Do", he may not know whether it’s C or C#.

Wouldn’t it be more straight forward to sing the chromatic solfege? "Do" for C, "Di" for C#, etc.

More
19 Jun 2024 11:46 #52872 by hellene
Replied by hellene on topic How to sing accidentals
Thank you for your question. I understand your concern about whether to use chromatic solfege for flats and sharps. Let me explain our approach in more detail.

Our method, based on the Russian-French school of music, emphasizes developing a deep internal understanding of music through extensive practice and immersion. Here’s why we focus on singing solfeggio without explicit sharps and flats:

1. Internalization of Alterations:

By practicing a wide variety of piano pieces, scales, exercises, chords, sight-reading, sight-singing, and transposing, students naturally internalize the concept of alterations (sharps and flats). This method encourages them to develop an intuitive sense of pitch and tonal relationships.

2. Contextual Learning:

Students learn to recognize alterations within the context of the music they are playing. For example, when they encounter a piece in a specific key, they will automatically understand the role of sharps and flats within that key through consistent practice.

3. Enhanced Musicianship:

Our approach aims to cultivate advanced musicianship where students can instantly translate sounds into notes and keys. This skill is developed through extensive ear training and practical application rather than relying solely on memorizing solfege syllables for each chromatic note.

4. Comprehensive Curriculum:

Following our curriculum ensures that students are exposed to all necessary musical concepts. Over time, they develop the ability to distinguish between natural, sharp, and flat notes without explicitly singing them in solfege. This leads to a more holistic and flexible understanding of music.

5. Comparing Methods:

While chromatic solfege (e.g., "Do", "Di", etc.) is used in some systems, our method prioritizes developing a natural and intuitive ear. Both methods have their merits, but our focus is on internalizing pitch through practical application rather than adding syllables for chromatic notes.

Practical Application:

When a student recalls a note in a song as "Do," they might initially be unsure whether it's C or C#. However, through our method, they learn to use context, harmonic understanding, and their developing ear to make this distinction. This approach aligns with how musicians interact with real music, relying on their ear and context rather than isolated note names.

In summary, our method nurtures an advanced level of musicianship where students can recognize and reproduce alterations intuitively. This internalization process, supported by a comprehensive curriculum, ensures a deeper and more flexible understanding of music.

I hope this explanation clarifies our approach and the rationale behind it. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Back to the Mozart
The following user(s) said Thank You: WM

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds